"One Giant Step... Too Far"

I was recently advised by my philosophy teacher (who is also a film lover) to watch a film called Moon for it's connections into our Philosophy and Ethics lessons. Luckily enough this film tied into my media work as the film could be stated as a Psychological Thriller. It certainly gained enough of the conventions of a thriller, like the desolate setting and the many red herrings. But I just didn't enjoy the film, at all.
I was told this film was cinematic genius, and that it was brilliant. It's won several BAFTAs amongst many other awards but I felt it's thrilleryness (yes, I've reached a point where my thesaurus is exhausted and my last resort is making up words) was wasted on me. The entire film felt like an educational video on '10 Steps to Making a Thriller' rather than an actual film. With many other thrillers that I've seen, specifically take a look The Number 23 which also falls into the psychological thriller category, they take breaks from being full on thriller-y and this is what adds most suspense. I know when I saw The Lovely Bones during the scenes where it was just showing life, I knew that something was coming, an underlying thriller-y moment was about to occur. We were about to get the conventions of silence and so on. Even if we look at I Am Legend, which was one of my case studies, there is a scene where Robert Nevelle is reciting the words to Shrek. Now THAT adds something to the film, it detracts from the thriller-y part! It's like you're on a rollercoaster which is constantly rising, and you know it has to fall anytime soon... Moon was not at all like this. Moon just felt like the whole film was dropping. Arguably the film does represent the main characters state of mind in an extraordinary way, and arguably you can say that this constant use of thriller conventions is showing that this persons psychological difficulties are present constantly. But it didn't entertain, and what are films for if they don't entertain?
It's like if you're constantly in a little bit of pain, you'll get used to it, and after a while it will stop affecting you. That's really what Moon felt like to me... it just didn't work.
0 Responses